Joris Voorn comes to Bristol for the first time on Saturday at Motion. We spoke to the Dutch master of techno and house before his big south west debut.
What record never leaves your bag/memory stick?
– Knights of the Jaguar. This must be the best techno track of all time.
What was the first record you ever bought?
– One of the first dance 12”s I bought was Maurizio – M4. I didn’t have a clue what it was, but it’s been one of my all time favourite records.
And the last?
– I don’t buy records anymore, but occasionally CD’s, the last one might have been an Aphex Twin album from the 90’s.
What record do you wish you’d released on your label Rejected?
– So many.. It’s hard finding good music these days.
What was the record that got you hooked on techno?
– Dave Clarke – Archive One. When I heard that album for the first time, I was blown away, it was a true musical epiphany.
What’s your favourite record to end a set on?
– I’ve closed many of my sets the last few years with my own Ringo track. It has kind of an ending built in before the drums kick back in, so I leave it at that.
What record of your own are you most proud of?
– Maybe also Ringo. I don’t know how that track happened, it’s so different from my other tracks.
What’s one record that transports you back to a specific time and place every time you listen to it?
– Choice – Acid Eiffel. Also one of my favourite techno tracks, it was like a warm bath the first time I heard it in 1996.
Joris Voorn comes to Motion this Saturday along with DJ Tennis, Andrea Oliva, Francisco Alandes and Yotto.